Dental crowns, bridges, and veneers are all restorative options for a wide range of dental concerns. The main difference between dental crowns and veneers is how and where they are actually applied to your tooth. In today’s blog, we are taking a look at dental crowns and dental veneers, and what to consider when looking for a solution to your dental concerns.
Think of a dental crown like a helmet for your tooth. It isn’t a tooth replacement, but simply a cap that is designed to blend in with your existing teeth. They can be made out of a variety of materials, such as porcelain, zirconia, or even gold. At our Tumut dental clinic, we offer same-day crowns so you don’t have to wait weeks for a restored bite!
Dental crowns can help with a number of dental concerns, such as:
- Chipped or cracked teeth
- Damaged teeth
- Protect from further harm
- Vulnerable teeth due to previous infections or fillings
- Aesthetic flaws (discolouration, misshapen teeth)
Dental crowns can even provide support for dental bridges, which are used as a stand in for missing teeth, restoring your bite function.
Dental veneers are one of the most common treatments we see at our dentist in Tumut. Veneers are a thin but strong layer of material applied to the front of your tooth. They are versatile and can be used to treat a range of dental concerns, including:
- Overcrowding in your mouth
- Damaged teeth
- Discoloured teeth
- Undersized teeth
- Misshapen teeth
- A gappy smile
Dental veneers can be made out of porcelain or composite resin, and your dentist in Tumut will be able to help you figure out which option suits you best. Let’s take a look at some of the key differences below.
- Last 10-15 years on average
- Higher stain resistance
- Higher initial cost, but porcelain is an investment and won’t need to be replaced as often.
- Takes 2 appointments to complete
- Last 3-5 years on average
- Lower stain resistance
- The initial cost is lower, but requires more frequent replacements
- Can be applied in a single visit
To find out more information and how much veneers cost in Tumut, give us a call on (02) 6947 2359 .
Veneers vs Crowns: Which is best for you?
At our Tumut dentist, we want to empower you to make informed decisions about your dental health. As such, we suggest considering the following when deciding whether a veneer or crown is best for your dental concern:
- Veneers are a thin yet strong covering over the front of your tooth. Whereas crowns replace your tooth’s biting surface. Therefore, veneers are usually applied to the teeth you show when you smile, and crowns to your premolars and molars in the back.
- Veneers need to be applied to your natural tooth, however crowns can be applied to natural teeth or dental implants.
- There are more material choices for crowns.
- Veneers are primarily cosmetic, but do have some restorative function. On the other hand, dental crowns are mainly restorative with the added benefit of restoring your tooth’s appearance.
Now that you are armed with some basic information on dental veneers and crowns, come visit your Tumut dentist to discuss treatment options.